Electronic copy of my work profile can be found here.
A seasoned consulting executive & project director with over 15 years of management experience, almost exclusively focused on the implementation and optimization of Epic Systems’ applications. An expert in all areas of clinical systems implementation, including numerous experiences with successful integrations of CPOE and electronic clinical documentation into complex ambulatory and acute care environments.
CLINICAL SYSTEMS IMPLEMENTATION
- Project Director for an enterprise Epic systems implementation for a health system that included 35+ ambulatory clinics, a 350-‐bed hospital, and 30+ hospital outpatient departments. Responsible for oversight of the project from initial budgeting, project planning, and staffing through project delivery for both the ambulatory and inpatient project phases.
- Managed the implementation of Epic’s inpatient EMR clinical documentation & ICU products, as well as the design & build for all core integrated clinical product components for a multi-‐facility academic medical center in the Midwest. Led all process redesign and system design/build activities.
- Served as a senior-‐level advisor on multi-‐site clinical systems implementations for a number of clients of First Consulting and Healthia. This included the development of a number of best practice system implementation documents used by both companies.
- Directed all application design and build activities for an Epic inpatient EMR implementation at a major multi-‐hospital academic medical center in the Eastern U.S. This included the workflow & system design and build necessary to support a complete COE and CPOE implementation. Also responsible for managing the implementation of of Epic’s inpatient pharmacy and registration products within the main campus (1400 bed) hospital.
- Directed the implementation of numerous enterprise lab system implementations including Sunquest Lab, SMART, Collection Manager and CoPath, moving forward projects that had been stalled out for 3+ years.
- Coordinated the Epic ambulatory EMR system build for a multi-‐affiliate IDN in Northern California, working with the affiliate project teams to reach consensus on shared build items so that the build could proceed. Included management across a group of affiliated IDNs dispersed across the western United States. The project encompassed multi-‐ specialty clinics totaling approximately 2000 providers across three separate affiliate organizations and 18 practice sites.
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT AND CLIENT DELIVERY
- Developed existing and grew new accounts in Healthia’s Great Lakes region. Responsible for creation of sales presentations, proposals, and contracts, as well as day-‐ to-‐day engagement management duties related to oversight of project teams and strengthening client relationships.
- Responsible for all account management activities for some of FCG’s highest profile healthcare clients. Developed sales proposals, wrote contracts, and supervised all consultants staffed at each client. Averaged approximately $2M in annual add-‐on sales.
- Created numerous sales collateral materials, including a set of Epic implementation best practice presentations used across Healthia’s business development team.
- Developed standard project management processes and toolsets for two major
healthcare consulting companies, including a standardized clinical process redesign
methodology that facilitates rapid decision-‐making and system design.
- Built an engineering, QA, and software design group from the ground up for a Silicon
Valley start up. This included creation of all standard PMO processes & tools to manage the division, as well as management of on average 20 concurrent development projects and over 40 team members.
- Created and implemented standard project on boarding and roll off processes and toolkits for Healthia, ensuring a consistent set of methods for initiating and closing client engagements.
- Designed business and marketing plans for numerous small businesses, resulting in the successful launch and growth of numerous companies in the retail and food service industries.
- At Vieo consulting, built a consulting practice from the ground floor up with a core focus on the design & development of KPIs & executive dashboards.
LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT AND STAFF MANAGEMENT
- Over 15 years of experience managing staff members & teams of sizes ranging from 4-‐ 40. Passionate about developing staff to their highest potential & level of contribution.
- Over a decade of experience with hands on mentoring and management of consultants
and project managers while serving as Engagement Manager or Client Executive for
multiple healthcare consulting firms.
- Developed numerous process analysis and redesign methodologies and supporting
tools for ambulatory and inpatient clinical information system implementations.
- Designed a complete set of implementation & process redesign tools for FCG’s Clinical
System Implementation Continuum Methodology Toolkit.
- Developed management/leadership development programs for Toyota/General
Motors, FCG, and Healthia, aimed at building the core staff management & career coaching skills in each firms’ staff managers.
Consultant ● Freed & Associates ● 08/2010-Present
Provide healthcare consulting services to a variety of clients within the Bay Area.
Director Laboratory Information Systems ● Children’s Memorial Hospital ● 01/2009-7/2010
Oversee the support and implementation of all technologies within the CMH department of pathology, including Epic, Sunquest, CoPath & Collection Manager applications. Developed the department’s application support processes from the ground up, including development of all support procedures and tools.
Director ● Vieo Consulting Group ● 04/2008-12/2008
Built out a new consulting firm from the ground up – responsible for all aspects of business plan development, corporate ID design, marketing planning, sales and business development of Vieo’s services within the healthcare market, development of all healthcare sales and marketing collateral, and the overall methodology and toolset used to manage delivery of Vieo’s services.
Director ● Healthia Consulting/Ingenix ● 09/2006-04/2008
Developed new & existing accounts – responsible for development of sales presentations & proposals, contracts, and other collateral materials. Provided account/engagement management oversight to Healthia clients, ensuring consistent level of high quality delivery of services. Managed multiple project teams as well as acted as staff manager for Chicago-based consultants. Developed numerous internal training programs and processes. Provide strategic and clinical process consulting services to healthcare organizations. Led development of Healthia’s LEAN/optimization service line.
Senior Manager ● First Consulting Group ● 09/2002-09/2006
Directed large-scale ($25-50M) clinical information system and process redesign projects for leading healthcare providers within the U.S. Managed and mentored FCG associates across the U.S. Personally produced an annual average of $1M in revenue per year for the Epic practice.
Sr. Organization Development Specialist ● NUMMI ● 06/2001-09/2002
Created career and leadership programs for use by GM and Toyota professional and line staff. Provided career counseling services and executive coaching to plant management and executives.
Director of Engineering ● ViaFone, Inc. ● 04/2000-06/2001
Managed all day-to-day engineering-related activities for a leading pre-IPO wireless solution provider. Led the technical documentation, design, usability, QA and development teams. Produced and managed the development schedule/plan for the entire product suite, being ultimately accountable for product delivery. Also developed and oversaw all HR policies and procedures for the company as a whole.
Implementation Consultant ● Epic Systems Corp. ● 08/1998-04/2000
Provided intensive consulting services on company’s high risk projects, applying strategic management methodologies to solve complex organizational problems; managed large ($10-25M in scope) projects involving enterprise wide, client/server based clinical information systems and Web-based applications, managing teams of 10-20 people.
Family Therapist ● Briarpatch, Inc. ● 08/1997-08/1998
Served as staff psychologist for a program aimed at preventing young women and men in rural communities from becoming entrenched in the juvenile justice system. Provided intensive in-home therapy to a caseload on average of 8 families, 15 young women and men and two support groups.
Small Business Consultant ● Various Companies ● 1990-1997
Consulted on the development and management of a variety of small businesses in the Madison, WI area, taking responsibility for all aspects of management, including financial planning, marketing/business development, customer service, hiring and supervising staff teams of 10-20 people, accounts payable and receivable, development of training materials, and analyzing market trends, adjusting business plans as necessary.
M.A., Counseling Psychology, Goddard College, Plainfield, VT
B.A., Cultural Studies, Goddard College, Plainfield, VT
Certified Narrative Psychology Practitioner, Evanston Family Therapy Center
EpicCare Inpatient Core, Clin Doc, Order Transmittal, Decision Support, Med and Procedure Orders – Epic Certified (through Spring 2008)
Previous certifications in EpicCare Ambulatory and Cadence
Applications Epic: EpicCare Ambulatory, EpicCare Inpatient (clin doc, orders, decision support), Optime, ASAP, Willow, ADT, Beacon, Call Center, Prelude, Cadence, Resolute Professional and Hospital Billing
Other CIS: Sunquest, CoPath, Collection Manager, SMART
Integration To/From Epic: Sunquest, Misys, IDX Rad, Mysis, HBO (billing), SMS (billing), Mediserv, TeamChimes, CBORD, CAPS (TPN orders), ADT, Siemens (Imaging), GE Muse (Cardiology)
Languages Proficient: HTML, CSS. PHP